Connection & Musicality Workshop with Velody (26th May 2012) (+Evening Social Dance)
Cambridge Lindy Hoppers are delighted to present a workshop with Velody in Cambridge on Saturday 26th May 2012!
The workshop will focus on Velody’s specialities of connection and musicality and will provide something a little bit different for Cambridge dancers and our visitors – it will be suitable for ‘Improver’ level dancers upwards (see below)
Come and learn how to work with your partner and the music to make your dancing flow better, improve your connection and communication and most importantly, have more fun!
As usual, we’ll also be having a social dance in the evening to which everybody is welcome, whether you’ve been to the workshop or not! See below for all the details…
Velody has been teaching lindy hop, balboa, blues and fusion classes at scenes the length and breadth of the UK, and brings a fun and informative teaching style to all her classes.
Teaching topics for this workshop are likely to cover areas including:
- ‘Making Dance a Conversation’ – Celebrating, challenging and changing up the lead/follow dynamic
- ‘Toning it Up, Toning it Down’ – Understanding, creating and maintaining a dynamic frame
- ‘Musicality’ – Dancing with and using changes in the music
- ‘Fusion’ – Using Bal and Tango connection and footwork to embellish your dancing
Visit Velody’s website, blog and Facebook page to find out more:
Saturday 26th May 2012, 10.15am – 4.30pm: Connection and Musicality Workshop with Velody
Saturday 26th May 2012, 7.30pm – 11.30pm: Swinging Social Dance – Our DJs will be playing swing tunes all night, perhaps with a little blues later on, and all types of swing dance are very welcome!
Experience Required for Workshop: the workshop is aimed at dancers from ’Improver’ level upwards. As a guide, you should have been dancing lindy hop regularly for at least 2-3 months, understand the basic steps (6-count, 8-count, Charleston and a few moves that use them) and be happy to social dance with different partners. Please get in touch or ask at one of our classes if you’re not sure about your level, we’d hate for you to miss out just because you’re not sure if it’s for you…
There will also be plenty in the workshop for more experienced dancers – there’s always more to learn about musicality and connection.
Saturday Workshop & Saturday Evening Social: Upper Hall, St Andrews Street Baptist Church, 43 St Andrews Street, Cambridge, CB2 3AR
* To get to the Upper Hall, go through the Livingstones Coffee Shop (to the right of the main church front doors if you are facing the church) to the stairs at the back and head upwards! *
* There are several St Andrews churches in Cambridge – please check carefully make sure you’re coming to the right one! *
* The church is in the middle of Cambridge, and parking nearby is limited, particularly on a busy Saturday. There are however good public transport options, including Park’n'Ride on the outskirts of town, which may be a better choice than driving into the city centre. *
Prices per person (Cambridge Lindy Hoppers society members prices in brackets):
- Connection and Musicality Workshop (Saturday Daytime): £16 (£14) – Includes free entry to evening social dance
- Swinging Social Dance (Saturday Evening): £7 (£6) – Pay on the door in the evening
*** You must book and pay IN ADVANCE for this workshop.***
Please book by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, telling us your name, address and contact number, whether you are a lead/follow and how you would like to pay.
To maintain a good lead/follow ratio we may have to use a waiting list system, so book quickly to be assured of a place.
We would really prefer it if you could pay by bank transfer – details will be provided when you register. If you really can’t make a bank transfer, it is also possible to pay by UK cheque.
If you make a bank transfer payment, please ensure you include your name by putting it in as the reference of the payment.
Please email us if you have any queries.