- What exactly is “Lindy Hop”? Lindy Hop is the original name for swing dancing. See the About page for more info on Lindy Hop.
- Can I just turn up? Yes, of course. You will probably find it easiest to start classes at our Monday classes for absolute beginners, or at the beginning of a monthly block on Wednesdays, but you can certainly drop in at any time, with no prior dance experience.
- Do I need a partner? No. Swing dancing is a social dance, and we like to keep students rotating so that they learn to dance with different partners throughout the classes. Sometimes partnerships build up over time and couples enter competitions or perform regularly together, but even then most dancers continue to dance with as many partners as possible socially.
- What should I wear? Loose fitting clothing is best, and be warned: Lindy Hop is a decent physical workout, so you will get warm in most classes. Flat soled trainers are perfect, and it’s not necessary to wear leather soled shoes. We generally advise students to avoid open-topped, split-soled or high-heeled shoes for Lindy Hop. Jewellery can scratch and get broken, so wear as little as possible.
- How can I become a member? Membership cards are available at any class. Just ask before you pay for the class: your member discount will apply straight away. Membership runs from October-October but you can join at any time – the price is on a pro-rata basis.
- Is there a discount for students/OAPs? Yes, we offer a reduced membership rate for students/OAPs.
- Do I have to start at the beginning of a monthly block? No, all of our classes are run on a drop-in basis, so you can come along any time, and you don’t have to attend a full block. The idea behind the monthly block structure is to aid learning – the classes will follow on from each other each week, allowing you to build on the concepts learnt at the previous classes. Because the classes build on the material from the previous weeks, you will find it easier to join at the start of a block, especially if you are a new beginner or are making the jump from beginner to intermediate for the first time. Our Monday taster classes are entirely self-contained and do not run in four week blocks – come along any time!
- Do you run classes over the holidays? Yes, our classes run all year round, including Bank Holidays, except for a couple of weeks’ break at Christmas.
- Why don’t you teach such-and-such? We try to teach a wide range of material at our classes to keep you interested, while still concentrating on improving the basics and technique of your lindy hop. However, if there is something you feel we’re missing, or you’d prefer it if we did things a different way, then please do contact us and let us know. We love to hear your feedback and we are always looking for ways to improve our classes for you.